Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sprint Gold Medal!

I have again managed to become world champion, this time in the Sprint distance race. Three days after losing my title of current world champ in the middle distance, I managed to scrape home with 11 sec over 2nd in the sprint (my least favorite discipline). My race was not perfect, but good enough to take the narrow victory. The splits showed Lasse and I were swapping 1st and 2nd most of the race, and I hit the lead with 3 controls to go and held on to the finish. The race was held around an archelogical site, with many narrow paved and unpaved paths twisting around. Because of the nature of the site riding off the tracks was not allowed (unlike the rest of the races here), but you could run with your bike off tracks which I did quite a few times.

Tomorrow is the last race, the Long final, and with 35km and temperatures probably around the same number it is going to be a tough race. From what we can gather the terrain is steep, with less singletrack than the past few days. Hopefully the tough conditions will play into my hands, but picking the right route choice is going to be key here.